Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Adventures of Sativa the dog

"hurry up and get skinnin"
For some reason I keep finding old pictures, and many of them are from 05-06, so, heres another one from then. I lived in a rotting old house, now burned down, on Kiowa Circle on the outskirts of South Lake Tahoe. There were 4 of us in the house; Aaron, the deadhead from western NY, Hazel, the ski patroller at Kirkwood from Alaska, and Bree, a girl from a coastal area of Massachusettes. Aaron had a dog named Sativa, black as night. Sativa, like her name suggests, got stoned quite often with her owner. Sativa never went on any real long walks or hikes, and I felt bad for her, because I could just tell she was dying to get out and test her own stamina. And what did I do about it? I took her out to ski some powder on the best damn day of her life!

Sativa contemplates the cornice



Sativa gettin some freshies. Now look at that dogs face!When I came upon this snowshoe hare, I feared that Sativa might scare it away, but all I had to do was tell her to "stay", and we snuck up pretty close for a good picture.

When the hare's eyes turned red and it gave me a snarling evil look, all I had to do was say
"get it"! and Sativa defended me.
Sativa the wonder dog would'nt mind jumping across the deepest of creeks, even if it meant smashing into the snowpack on the otherside head first!
When it was all said and done, we had hiked and skied about 6500 vertical feet, and she just wanted more. Every time she'd see me getting ready to go out for a ski after that, you could just tell that she wanted more than anything to escape the wrath of her stoned owner and go for a real walk, a real world adventure to the snowy peaks of the Sierra.

No comments: