Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lackawanna and Brumley Peaks, CO



I awoke to a glorious alpenglow on the peaks of Independence Pass, the day was 3/26/08, and it was to be one of the best tours of my life.
I gathered the gear, then started the long skin up a south facing 3000 ft. avalanche path known as Everett D. This eventually leads to Pt. 13823, also known as Lackawanna Peak. I felt a little tired and sore from the many previous days, but soon I was atop the ridge, making my way to the summit. When I crested the ridgetop I came upon this view of Pt. 13660 "Brumley Peak"
I was stopped in my tracks, and knew I had to return soon to get it.
Eyeing the east face of Lackawanna Peak on the map, I soon got to see that it was indeed a nice series of couloirs and spines. The summit of "Lackawanna Peak"
View of my descent route down the east face of Lackawanna Peak.
I dropped in to soft ,well bonded snow. Very carvable. The descent was sick, I slashed the spines, and laid some out on the apron.
I had a cliff shot, my new energy source, and put the board on my pack. From here I was able to climb on a rock rib up to a saddle. Then I decided to head north, towards pt. 13660, also known as "Brumley Peak" for that amazing couloir I spotted earlier. This whole time that thing was in my head, and I was planning my return trip to get it on another day. I'm not sure what got into me, but I decided while I was here, it was there, and the snow was stable, then we might as well tango. I gained the saddle ,and followed the long corniced ridge to the summit. I felt like I was on Denali for a while, climbing these monstrous corniced ridges, the final section being quite steep.
I had a look around, spotted another line that I would defnitley have to return for, then dropped in. I swung low beneath the cornice, but above a band of cliffs, then found the entrance.
It narrowed up, and steepend to about 48 degrees. I defnitley didn't make any turns in the choke, as my board barely scraped through.
I made a little traverse over something resembling a chockstone, then continued down. It was a fairly long couloir, and was stoked to have passed through this thing. I laid down on a patch of grass, admiring this view of my new route. I decided to call it "Fat Cat with a Little Throat" in regards to the looming cornice, and the narrow choke. I felt like a hairball being coughed up.By now I was throughly tired, so I chugged my red bull to keep my strength up. I made the final 1000 ft. climb to the ridge and ended up right on the top of Everett D. 3000 ft. of corn ensued, silkier than a smooth babys bottom. I hooted and hollered for the Lynx that was watching me, and didn't stop untill I hit the truck. At this point, I limped across the road with leg burn, and collapsed in the back of my pickup for a while, gleeming with that feeling you get after the best ski tour of your life.

1 comment:

Emily Burney said...

I'm really just so impressed by your adventures. If some day I can do half of this, or a quarter of this, I will be proud.
Matt, you're a crazy man ... in the best way possible!