Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mount Aetna

A view down the Taylor/Aetna Saddle run
Decided to finally nail a classic line on this day, 3/25/06.
I popped out of the truckbed along HWY 50 near Monarch Pass just before dawn.
Used the facilities at the Monarch Lodge, then geared up and headed out.
I was amazed at how much snow was in the area, and passed a few cabins that were completely buried. This was at low to mid elevations! Cruised up Russel Creek Basin and skinned up to the saddle between Mt. Aetna and Taylor Peak. I spotted a nice line, and was feeling good so I decided to hit it, skin back up, and then bag Mt. Aetna's huge SE gully. The SE gully can be seen from Monarch Pass, on the pointiest peak around. Its a definite classic of the Sawatch Range, and I'd even say for the state of CO, running a continuous descent of about 4000 ft. Heres a stitched view of it.

Heres another view
I was done harvesting the corn at 1pm, and hung out in the warm sun and dried my gear on my truck. Next I headed north for my favorite area in the state, Independence Pass.

No comments: